Regeneration and new housing development
Housing development is a key part of DGHP’s approach to asset management and overall business strategy due to the demand for affordable housing in the region.
DGHP has a number of current development projects ongoing:
- Mill Road, Lochmaben – DGHP are building on the old caravan site which is situated off Mill Road, Lochmaben. 25 homes are being built which will include a general needs mix of 2 and 3 bed houses and 1 bed flats. This development is expected to be completed late Spring 2018.
- Lochfield Road, Dumfries – work has now commenced on this project which sits adjacent to the Queen of the South Football arena. 16 homes are being built on this site which will include a mix of 2 and 3 bed houses and 1 bed flats. This development is expected to be completed towards winter 2018.
- Friars Vennel, Dumfries – work is ongoing to replace a now demolished block of shops and flats in Friar’s Vennel, a town centre area in Dumfries in need of renewal. The new development will consist of 6 flats which will be situated above 2 commercial units which will be used as DGHP’s town centre offices.
What we’ve achieved so far
- In Thornhill, DGHP have completed building on the site of the former Wallace Hall School. 26 homes were built with homes available to buy, for mid-market rent and for social rent from DGHP.
- In Stranraer, DGHP have successfully completed one of the largest regeneration projects in the country replacing 198 substandard houses with 207 new build properties. This consists of a mix of General Needs, Mid Market Rents (MMR) and New Supply Shared Equity (NSSE) properties. All of these homes have been designed to high space standards, with state of the art insulation and heating systems and laid out to meet secure by design principles.
- We have completed two sites in Newton Stewart – at Barrhill which is located on the on the outskirts of the town which sees 14 homes for Mid Market Rent managed by Novantie and Woodlands, which is a development consisting of 36 homes with a mix of properties for sale under NSSE, DGHP rent and MMR.
- We have completed the construction of 36 new homes in the town of Kirkcudbright and again this accommodates a combination of Mid-Market Rent, General Needs Rent and properties to buy under NSSE.
Beyond our current schemes, DGHP is progressing work on a number of developments across Dumfries and Galloway, targeting areas of particular need in Dumfries and other areas.
Forthcoming areas for developments include Nursery Avenue, Stranraer; Lincluden Stables, Dumfries; Herries Avenue, Dumfries; Queen Street, Dumfries and Queensberry Square, Sanquhar.
We are also looking at masterplans for Noblehill Dumfries, Curries Yard, Locharbriggs, and Catherinefield Farm, Heathall.
DGHP has a rigorous development appraisal methodology. For each proposed scheme, an appraisal of development costs and future income and management and maintenance costs is prepared before any commitment is entered into. DGHP will only undertake schemes which can demonstrate financial viability on realistic assumptions within 35-40 years.