DGHP is committed to using the company’s investment and regeneration programmes to stimulate employment and training opportunities in disadvantaged communities.
We have teamed up with Dumfries and Galloway College to offer a BTEC Introduction to Construction course. The course is perfect for anyone out of work, fresh out of school or even just looking for a new direction.
The course features a mixture of workshop and classroom time with a work placement opportunity with a DGHP contractor. You could gain a valuable qualification including health and safety, first aid and a number of recognised trades. The placement element of the course will also help you learn skills to give yourself an advantage in a growing job market, developing skills for employment in a real life environment.The course starts at the end of August 2017 and we are taking applications now.
To find out more contact us by clicking here or call Freephone 0800 011 3447 and ask for Katy McBride.
To complete the application form visit https://www.cognitoforms.com/DGHP1/DGHPTrainingCourseApplication
Some of the schemes previously supported are:
- A modern apprenticeships programme linked to the Regeneration programme, which will offer 40 places on 26 week courses leading to the SVQ Level 2 in General Construction Operations. This is supported by Skills Development Scotland’s Get Ready for Work & Training for Work Programme, as well as other supporting maintenance funds such as the New Deal & Further Education Bursaries. We hope to run a third phase of this program during this coming year 2011/12;
- A school links programme, targeted at raising awareness in secondary schools of trade and craft modern apprenticeships;
- A Route to Service Engineers and Fitters, sponsored by British Gas and linked to the DGHP investment programme contract for affordable heating systems. Through an intensive 32 week training course, local people will have the opportunity to access the BG Academy and work on local contracts. DGHP will work with BG, training providers and other supporting agencies to provide training for local communities across Dumfries and Galloway that meets BG entrance requirements. Training content will include transferable and appropriate level preparatory gas trade skills & accreditation;
- Investment Programme – Pre-employment Training Programme for Bathrooms and Kitchen Fitters. This programme not only develops skills, but also offers opportunities to link trainees to employment outcomes in regeneration or new build programmes;
- Investment Programme – Pre-employment Training Programme – Technical Assistants. This training is to equip local people with the skills to access employment opportunities with DGHP’s Smoke Detector and Exit Lighting contractor over the next 2 years, and to help address a regional shortage of qualified electricians; and
- Investment Programme – Refurbishment & External Envelope Works – Construction Site Operatives, working towards SVQ Level 2 on a 26-week training course. Optional units offer the flexibility to tailor contractor and individuals’ needs to skills required and aspirations to apprenticeship trades/crafts cross spectrum, and to progress to SVQ Level 3.
DGHP has also implemented it’s financial inclusion and tenancy sustainment strategy. The first aim is an Early Intervention plan, which will identify and then support tenants and communities at risk of debt management issues, through education, support and advice on income and benefit maximisation.