We want to keep you safe in your home. To do this, we need to carry out at least one gas safety visit in your home each year. It’s the law for all responsible landlords.
By law, under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001, DGHP has an obligation to ensure the health and safety of our tenants – the cornerstone of this is our annual gas service and safety check to your gas, solid fuel or oil heating system.
You’ll receive a letter from us 10 months after your last check with a date for your next visit. If it’s not a good time, let us know and we’ll rearrange. Make sure you are at home on the day of your gas safety check.
If you miss this safety check and any rearranged appointments, we may force entry to your home – and all costs will be charged to you.
Combustible appliances are often in use during the winter months – take a few steps now to ensure your home is safe:
- Keep heaters away from curtains & furniture – never use them for drying clothes.
- Unplug or switch off portable heaters when going out or to bed.
- Secure them in position – avoid the risk of them getting knocked over.
- Only use gas or paraffin heaters in well-ventilated areas.
I smell gas. What do I do?
Follow these simple steps straight away:
- turn off all gas appliances
- put out any cigarettes
- open all doors and windows
- don’t use matches or naked flames
- turn the gas off at the meter
- don’t switch on any electrical switches or appliances
- don’t press buttons on the door entry systems.
You can also call us on 0800 011 3447. We’ll speak to SGN for you and have our gas engineers with you within an hour to deal with any breakdowns.