All Enquiries (including emergencies) 0800 011 3447
Hardship loan fund My Rent Modern Slavery Statement Accessibility Statement Terms and Conditions Understanding your fuse box What to do if you have a burst pipe How to deal with condensation How to unblock a sink What to do if your central heating isn’t working MyRepairs Videos Privacy Notice Avoiding scams: useful advice during Coronavirus Talk to Us Fuel Advice EatWell Extra Support Coronavirus Advice – Alternative Formats Universal Credit – Changes to rent Coronavirus DGHP Board Member Recruitment Board Papers Publication Scheme Freedom of Information Environmental Information Guide to Information Links Two Child Limit and Benefits Social Security Scotland Pension Credit Board Meeting Minutes Changes to Your Tenancy Rights Privacy Policy Customer Service Commitments Customer Service Health and Safety in Your Home Volunteer Opportunities Rent and Benefits Voting Volunteering Veterans TV Licence Supported Housing National Insurance Money Advice Motability scheme Mail Redirection Libraries Joint Service Housing Home Insurance Household Bills Housing Homeless Service Furniture Funding and Grants Freecycle Employment Electoral Registration Education Driving License Health Council Tax Community Transport Citizens Advice Civvy Street Charities Carer Support Cadet Forces Budgeting Blue Badges Bin Collection Benefits Advice Antisocial Behavior Aids and adaptations New Tenants Help Downloads Contract opportunities Self service portal Right to repair Planned repairs Neighbourhood management Antisocial behaviour Rent first Novantie – About How to apply Recruitment New Supply Shared Equity Armed Forces Policy Homelessness Applying for Housing Consultations Complaints guidance Surveys Complaints Compliments & Suggestions Available Homes To Let Taking in a lodger? Disability Living Allowance Benefit Cap Universal Credit Council Tax Benefit Under Occupation Charge (“Bedroom Tax”) What are the welfare benefits changes? Welfare benefits changes SHQS Aids and Adaptations Wider Action Factoring Development Regeneration Investment Home Contents Insurance Supported housing Community Participation – Getting Involved with DGHP Rent arrears Housing benefit Paying your rent Rents Exchanges Ending your tenancy Applying for housing Property letting Our contractors Annual servicing Who repairs what? Repairs Tenant Services Private Tenancies Locations Tenant census Have Your Say New Customers Join DGHP Business Plan Our management team Our Board What we do Neighbourhood Managers Find My Officer Repairs Contact DGHP Board & DMC Members Latest News Services About DGHP Home
Board Members

Grierson House
The Crichton
Bankend Road
Dumfries, DG1 4ZS

0800 011 3447
(free from mobile networks)
01387 242 509 (Fax)

DGHP Facebook link

Ending your tenancy

How to end your tenancy:

  • Call us on 0800 011 3447 and let us know you wish to end your tenancy – we will complete this over the phone with you
  • Give us at least 28 days notice in writing that you are leaving (you will be responsible for the payment of rent for the 28 day notice period)
  • Leave your house clean, tidy and well decorated
  • Remove all your furniture, carpets, other floor coverings and fixtures & fittings
  • Return all keys for the property to us at the end of your tenancy
  • Allow access for the prospective tenant to view the property
  • Provide a forwarding address

Coronavirus update – Under the conditions of your tenancy agreement you must inform us in advance of ending your tenancy. If you wish to terminate your tenancy, please call us 0800 011 3447 and we can do this over the phone. 

A Housing Officer will also visit your property before the tenancy ends and advise you of any decoration or repairs that must be carried out to the property before you leave.

If we find any damage to the property or repairs not carried out as advised, we will charge you the cost of the repairs. If you pay your rent by Direct Debit, please be sure to cancel this with your bank with effect from the date your tenancy ends.

DGHP is now part of Wheatley Group, Scotland’s largest housing, care and property-management group. However your tenancy agreement remains with DGHP – if you have any questions about ending your tenancy, please contact us on 0800 011 3447.

Terminating a tenancy following a death

We know that it is a difficult time when someone dies. Our staff are here to help and advise you on how to end the tenancy.

Please contact us on 0800 011 3447 – we will obtain the details of the deceased from you and provide you will all the advice and information to commence the termination process.

When you contact us DGHP will require the following information:

  • Deceased tenant’s name
  • Address & Postcode
  • Date of death
  • Representative’s full name & address
  • Representative’s telephone number & email address
  • Relationship to tenant

If there is a next of kin we will also require their details.  As part of this process we will make an appointment with you for one of our Housing Officers to visit the property to carry-out a pre-termination inspection and during this visit they will require to witness a copy of the death certificate.

Find a copy of the death termination form here – and guidance on terminating a tenancy following a death here.


Looking for more information?

Get in touch with DGHP today.

Contact Us
Cookie Policy reveal lock logo
This site uses cookies.
Read our privacy policy

This site uses necessary cookies to enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

This site also uses optional cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. Google Analytics cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. Optional cookies are anonymous and will not identify you. We won’t set optional cookies unless you enable them using the tool below.

For more information on how cookies work please see our ‘Privacy Policy page’.