All Enquiries (including emergencies) 0800 011 3447
Hardship loan fund My Rent Modern Slavery Statement Accessibility Statement Terms and Conditions Understanding your fuse box What to do if you have a burst pipe How to deal with condensation How to unblock a sink What to do if your central heating isn’t working MyRepairs Videos Privacy Notice Avoiding scams: useful advice during Coronavirus Talk to Us Fuel Advice EatWell Extra Support Coronavirus Advice – Alternative Formats Universal Credit – Changes to rent Coronavirus DGHP Board Member Recruitment Board Papers Publication Scheme Freedom of Information Environmental Information Guide to Information Links Two Child Limit and Benefits Social Security Scotland Pension Credit Board Meeting Minutes Changes to Your Tenancy Rights Privacy Policy Customer Service Commitments Customer Service Health and Safety in Your Home Volunteer Opportunities Rent and Benefits Voting Volunteering Veterans TV Licence Supported Housing National Insurance Money Advice Motability scheme Mail Redirection Libraries Joint Service Housing Home Insurance Household Bills Housing Homeless Service Furniture Funding and Grants Freecycle Employment Electoral Registration Education Driving License Health Council Tax Community Transport Citizens Advice Civvy Street Charities Carer Support Cadet Forces Budgeting Blue Badges Bin Collection Benefits Advice Antisocial Behavior Aids and adaptations New Tenants Help Downloads Contract opportunities Self service portal Right to repair Planned repairs Neighbourhood management Antisocial behaviour Rent first Novantie – About How to apply Recruitment New Supply Shared Equity Armed Forces Policy Homelessness Applying for Housing Consultations Complaints guidance Surveys Complaints Compliments & Suggestions Available Homes To Let Taking in a lodger? Disability Living Allowance Benefit Cap Universal Credit Council Tax Benefit Under Occupation Charge (“Bedroom Tax”) What are the welfare benefits changes? Welfare benefits changes SHQS Aids and Adaptations Wider Action Factoring Development Regeneration Investment Home Contents Insurance Supported housing Community Participation – Getting Involved with DGHP Rent arrears Housing benefit Paying your rent Rents Exchanges Ending your tenancy Applying for housing Property letting Our contractors Annual servicing Who repairs what? Repairs Tenant Services Private Tenancies Locations Tenant census Have Your Say New Customers Join DGHP Business Plan Our management team Our Board What we do Neighbourhood Managers Find My Officer Repairs Contact DGHP Board & DMC Members Latest News Services About DGHP Home
Board Members

Grierson House
The Crichton
Bankend Road
Dumfries, DG1 4ZS

0800 011 3447
(free from mobile networks)
01387 242 509 (Fax)

DGHP Facebook link

If you’re on Universal Credit, and claiming housing costs to pay your rent, you must let the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) know of any change in your rent.

To make this easier for you, the DWP will send you a ‘To Do’ notification to your journal in the first week of April 2021.

You must complete the ‘To Do’ as soon as possible once it becomes available to avoid missing out on the money you are due. If you did not receive a ‘To-Do’, you will need to report it as a change to your housing costs immediately.

Unfortunately, we can’t tell the DWP on your behalf, but if you need help with your journal please speak to your housing officer.

If you don’t tell the DWP about your rent rise, your Universal Credit won’t be increased to cover your new rent and you could miss out on benefits you are due.

You can find more information about Universal Credit on our website on our ‘Universal Credit‘ page and in our Universal Credit ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ section.

If you receive Housing Benefit you don’t need to do anything. Your benefit will be automatically updated.

If you pay by standing order you need to speak to your bank about increasing your payment.

Make sure you include your rent reference number so your payment reaches your account without delay.

What you need to do

A new ‘Confirm your housing costs’ message will be in your “To-do List” on 5 April 2021.

Sign in to your Universal Credit online journal at and follow these simple steps:

  • Click on your To-Do List
  • Click on the “Confirm your housing costs To-do”.

You will be asked the following questions:

  • Has your rent changed? – Select Yes

If you have eligible service charges recorded on your Universal Credit account, you will also be asked:

  • Have your eligible service charges changed? – Select Yes

You will then be asked the following questions:

  • “Did your housing costs change on 5 April 2021.” – Select Yes

You will be shown the amount of rent currently recorded on your account and will be asked the following questions:

  • “Are you still charged weekly for your rent?” – Select Yes
  • “How much is your new rent?” – Enter your weekly rent amount

If you currently have Service Charges recorded on your Universal Credit housing costs the amount you currently have recorded will be displayed and you will also be asked:

  • “Are you still charged weekly for your service charges?” – Select Yes
  • “How much are your new eligible service charges?” – Enter your weekly eligible service charge amount

Once you have answered these questions you will see a summary of your answers. If you have made any mistakes you can change your answers.

If you are happy with the information you have provided press confirm to complete the To-Do.

We’ve also created a website step-by-step guide showing you what to do and where to click.


Looking for more information?

Get in touch with DGHP today.

Contact Us
Cookie Policy reveal lock logo
This site uses cookies.
Read our privacy policy

This site uses necessary cookies to enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

This site also uses optional cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. Google Analytics cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. Optional cookies are anonymous and will not identify you. We won’t set optional cookies unless you enable them using the tool below.

For more information on how cookies work please see our ‘Privacy Policy page’.