All Enquiries (including emergencies) 0800 011 3447
Hardship loan fund My Rent Modern Slavery Statement Accessibility Statement Terms and Conditions Understanding your fuse box What to do if you have a burst pipe How to deal with condensation How to unblock a sink What to do if your central heating isn’t working MyRepairs Videos Privacy Notice Avoiding scams: useful advice during Coronavirus Talk to Us Fuel Advice EatWell Extra Support Coronavirus Advice – Alternative Formats Universal Credit – Changes to rent Coronavirus DGHP Board Member Recruitment Board Papers Publication Scheme Freedom of Information Environmental Information Guide to Information Links Two Child Limit and Benefits Social Security Scotland Pension Credit Board Meeting Minutes Changes to Your Tenancy Rights Privacy Policy Customer Service Commitments Customer Service Health and Safety in Your Home Volunteer Opportunities Rent and Benefits Voting Volunteering Veterans TV Licence Supported Housing National Insurance Money Advice Motability scheme Mail Redirection Libraries Joint Service Housing Home Insurance Household Bills Housing Homeless Service Furniture Funding and Grants Freecycle Employment Electoral Registration Education Driving License Health Council Tax Community Transport Citizens Advice Civvy Street Charities Carer Support Cadet Forces Budgeting Blue Badges Bin Collection Benefits Advice Antisocial Behavior Aids and adaptations New Tenants Help Downloads Contract opportunities Self service portal Right to repair Planned repairs Neighbourhood management Antisocial behaviour Rent first Novantie – About How to apply Recruitment New Supply Shared Equity Armed Forces Policy Homelessness Applying for Housing Current consultations Complaints guidance Surveys Complaints Compliments & Suggestions Available Homes To Let Taking in a lodger? Disability Living Allowance Benefit Cap Universal Credit Council Tax Benefit Under Occupation Charge (“Bedroom Tax”) What are the welfare benefits changes? Welfare benefits changes SHQS Aids and Adaptations Wider Action Factoring Development Regeneration Investment Home Contents Insurance Supported housing Community Participation – Getting Involved with DGHP Rent arrears Housing benefit Paying your rent Rents Exchanges Ending your tenancy Applying for housing Property letting Our contractors Annual servicing Who repairs what? Repairs Tenant Services Private Tenancies Locations Tenant census Have Your Say New Customers Join DGHP Business Plan Our management team Our Board What we do Neighbourhood Managers Find My Officer Repairs Contact DGHP Board & DMC Members Latest News Services About DGHP Home
Board Members

Grierson House
The Crichton
Bankend Road
Dumfries, DG1 4ZS

0800 011 3447
(free from mobile networks)
01387 242 509 (Fax)

DGHP Facebook link

Update on Coronavirus and claiming benefits including Universal Credit 

If you have a Jobcentre appointment but are staying at home on Government advice or have been diagnosed with coronavirus, you will not be sanctioned if you tell DWP in good time. If you have a Claimant Commitment, it will be reviewed to make sure it is still reasonable.

If you are staying at home as a result of coronavirus, your mandatory work search and work availability requirements will be removed to account for a period of sickness.

If you’re already claiming Universal Credit and think you may have been affected by coronavirus, please contact your work coach as soon as possible. You can do this by:

To find out more, please visit 

Do you have questions about Universal Credit or claiming benefits due to coronavirus? Please check our DGHP UC FAQs here.

It’s your responsibility to update your journal with changes to your rent – find out more about Universal Credit and changes to your rent here. If you still need to report the increase in your rent to Universal Credit then check our housing costs guide here for more on how to complete this. 

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit has replaced new claims for:
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Universal Credit will be paid directly to you, so you are responsible for all of your expenses. This means, you will also need to pay your own rent. Read more about Universal Credit and You here.

Watch a short video below to see how Universal Credit works.


Who will need to claim Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a working age benefit so will be available to those who are:

  • Aged 18 or over,
  • Not in receipt of a Severe Disability Premium; AND
  • Under the qualifying age for Pension Credit. To find out if you are of Pension Credit age or not visit

Older people who are already in receipt of Pension Credit will continue to receive Pension Credit.

However, from 15th May 2019 if you are not already in receipt of Pension Credit, and one member of a couple is over and one is under the qualifying age for Pension Credit, then the couple will be treated as working age. This means they would be expected to claim Universal Credit.

What will happen to me as a claimant?

From 16th May 2018 all new benefit claims for most working age claimants will be made to Universal Credit and most changes of circumstances will also direct claimants towards Universal Credit also.

Claims to Universal Credit are made online and you have to maintain your claim online.

Any Universal Credit payment you receive will include an amount that is to help with your daily living costs and an amount to help with your rent.  View an example of a Universal Credit payment statement

People already in receipt of one of the benefits that Universal Credit is replacing will continue to receive their existing benefits until they either have a change of circumstance or are moved over towards the end of the Universal Credit roll out. Groups who are most likely to gain will move over earlier.

This means you may continue to get your existing benefits for a while, if your circumstances stay the same.

You will be told when Universal Credit will affect you, and if there is no change in your situation, the UK government says you won’t be any worse off when you do move over.

Read more about ‘Universal Credit and You‘ here.

What change of circumstance will lead to a claim for Universal Credit?

Find out more on which changes in circumstances could lead to you having to claim Universal Credit from 16th May 2018.

How is Universal Credit different?

Universal Credit will give you a single monthly payment. This will include all your support for housing, children and childcare costs. It will also cover support for disabled people and carers.

From your single monthly payment, you must manage your finances to cover all of your expenses. That can be anything from gas and electricity to food, shopping and most importantly your rent.

Universal Credit will also require you to maintain your claim online and to interact with your Job Centre work coach both online and in person.

How will my Universal Credit be paid?

Universal Credit will be paid directly to you, the claimant, straight into a bank, building society, Post Office or credit union account that you choose.

If you are claiming with a partner, a single payment will be made to cover you both.

Any claims made to Universal Credit from 16th May 2018 will require you to have a bank or building society account in your name so that payment of Universal Credit can be made direct to you.

If you need help to open a bank account then the Money Advice Service offer some good advice on opening a bank account for benefits to be paid in.

What does this change about housing benefit? I’ve never had to pay DGHP before!

Whether you have previously received partial housing benefit or all of your rent was covered by housing benefit, you will need to make sure yourself that DGHP are paid an amount for your rent.

Any help for your rent will be paid directly to you as part of your Universal Credit payment, so you will need to budget for the full cost of your rent.

Under Universal Credit Full Service, you should be given the choice of who receives the rental element.  We strongly recommend that you ask for DGHP to be paid the rental element of your Universal Credit.  You will however be required to make up any shortfalls that are not covered by Universal Credit.

How can I claim Universal Credit?

If you are told that you should claim, you will need to submit a new claim online here.   Once you have made a claim you will then have a face-to-face interview to attend at your nearest Job Centre.

If you need help to claim:

  1. Contact us and ask for a Switch Team referral.
  2. Contact DAGCAS  to use their Help to Claim Service.
  3. Get online access at your nearest library or Job Centre.

If you can’t claim online, the library service across the region can offer internet access free of charge.  Your nearest Job Centre also has computer access and free wi-fi that you can use in order to make your claim.

Dumfries and Galloway Council’s website has more information on this and locating your nearest library and internet/computer access.

If you want to know more about claiming Universal Credit online – there are some useful videos to guide you through the process.

What happens if my claim is successful?

To get Universal Credit, you must accept and meet a ‘Claimant Commitment’.

Your claimant commitment says that you accept certain responsibilities in return for claiming Universal Credit. It will also say what happens if you don’t meet these responsibilities.

It takes into account things like your family, your health and your potential for future earnings. For example, if you are unemployed but able to work, you’ll be expected to focus full-time on looking for a job.

You will still get financial support if you’re not able to work. If you want to know more about Universal Credit once it is in payment, find more information and guidance on managing your claim here.

How can I get ready?

Bank accounts and managing your money

Sorting out how to manage your money is one of the most important things you can do to get ready for Universal Credit. You might need to get set up with a bank, building society, Post Office or credit union account.

If you are part of a couple who live together and are both claiming Universal Credit, you may want to open a joint account.

Advice and support is available if you need help with budgeting and managing your money.

There are also a couple of credit unions in operation at either end of the region. The unions help local people manage their money by offering low cost, affordable loans and simple ways to save.

Try to avoid doorstep lenders and payday loans, they have a much higher rate of interest.

If you have been affected by a doorstep loans or local loan sharks, you can report illegal lending here in confidence.

Paying your rent

Remember, as soon as Universal Credit starts to affect you, you will be responsible for ensuring that your rent is paid.  Make sure you speak to your work coach about having your housing element (rent) paid direct to DGHP.

DGHP offers a range of different ways that you can pay your rent, from direct debits to paying online or over the phone without even speaking to anyone! We can help your find a method of payment that suits you before you run into problems with payments.

Finding work or training

You can get support from various local organisations to find a job or to move towards work.

This might include training, volunteering or getting help with your CV.

You may be able to get extra help and support with this.  DG TAP may be able to help you with this. More information can be found on their website here or on Facebook or Twitter.

Getting online

Having internet access at home will help you to make your claim for Universal Credit. Being able to get online at your own convenience is also a good way to look for work.

According to industry experts, a quarter of all employers looking for new staff prefer to advertise online.

Having some computer skills can also make you more employable.

There are other advantages of getting online at home. It can help your children do better at school and on average, a family can save £560 a year by shopping and paying bills online – that’s not to be sniffed at!

There are also national companies who provide affordable computing. Try GetOnline@Home who can assist you to get a home computer or laptop for much less than you think.

I am on Universal Credit but need help with my claim – who can I speak to?

  • You can contact us for assistance.
  • Universal Credit will also be able to assist you. You can ask them questions through your online journal and they will reply.  Also, if you meet with your work coach, speak to them, they are there to support you with your claim.
  • The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has created a website which guides you through the different stages of Universal Credit and contains useful information and videos to help if you are:
    • New to Universal Credit
    • Making a claim
    • Already claiming

Click here to visit the DWP website for more information.

  • Other agencies such as DAGCAS and Welfare Rights can also offer you assistance.

Useful Contacts

You may find these attachments to be of help as well:


<< Back to Welfare Reform home


Looking for more information?

Get in touch with DGHP today.

Contact Us
Cookie Policy reveal lock logo
This site uses cookies.
Read our privacy policy

This site uses necessary cookies to enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

This site also uses optional cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. Google Analytics cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. Optional cookies are anonymous and will not identify you. We won’t set optional cookies unless you enable them using the tool below.

For more information on how cookies work please see our ‘Privacy Policy page’.