All Enquiries (including emergencies) 0800 011 3447
Hardship loan fund My Rent Modern Slavery Statement Accessibility Statement Terms and Conditions Understanding your fuse box What to do if you have a burst pipe How to deal with condensation How to unblock a sink What to do if your central heating isn’t working MyRepairs Videos Privacy Notice Avoiding scams: useful advice during Coronavirus Talk to Us Fuel Advice EatWell Extra Support Coronavirus Advice – Alternative Formats Universal Credit – Changes to rent Coronavirus DGHP Board Member Recruitment Board Papers Publication Scheme Freedom of Information Environmental Information Guide to Information Links Two Child Limit and Benefits Social Security Scotland Pension Credit Board Meeting Minutes Changes to Your Tenancy Rights Privacy Policy Customer Service Commitments Customer Service Health and Safety in Your Home Volunteer Opportunities Rent and Benefits Voting Volunteering Veterans TV Licence Supported Housing National Insurance Money Advice Motability scheme Mail Redirection Libraries Joint Service Housing Home Insurance Household Bills Housing Homeless Service Furniture Funding and Grants Freecycle Employment Electoral Registration Education Driving License Health Council Tax Community Transport Citizens Advice Civvy Street Charities Carer Support Cadet Forces Budgeting Blue Badges Bin Collection Benefits Advice Antisocial Behavior Aids and adaptations New Tenants Help Downloads Contract opportunities Self service portal Right to repair Planned repairs Neighbourhood management Antisocial behaviour Rent first Novantie – About How to apply Recruitment New Supply Shared Equity Armed Forces Policy Homelessness Applying for Housing Consultations Complaints guidance Surveys Complaints Compliments & Suggestions Available Homes To Let Taking in a lodger? Disability Living Allowance Benefit Cap Universal Credit Council Tax Benefit Under Occupation Charge (“Bedroom Tax”) What are the welfare benefits changes? Welfare benefits changes SHQS Aids and Adaptations Wider Action Factoring Development Regeneration Investment Home Contents Insurance Supported housing Community Participation – Getting Involved with DGHP Rent arrears Housing benefit Paying your rent Rents Exchanges Ending your tenancy Applying for housing Property letting Our contractors Annual servicing Who repairs what? Repairs Tenant Services Private Tenancies Locations Tenant census Have Your Say New Customers Join DGHP Business Plan Our management team Our Board What we do Neighbourhood Managers Find My Officer Repairs Contact DGHP Board & DMC Members Latest News Services About DGHP Home
Board Members

Grierson House
The Crichton
Bankend Road
Dumfries, DG1 4ZS

0800 011 3447
(free from mobile networks)
01387 242 509 (Fax)

DGHP Facebook link

Taking in a lodger? Here are the rules:

What is a lodger?

A lodger is someone, other than a member of your household, who rents a room in your home and who may share the bathroom, kitchen and/or living room with you.

You are only likely to be able to take in a lodger if you rent a whole house or flat from DGHP and you have a spare room.

Can I take in a lodger?

Whether or not DGHP will allow you to take in a lodger will depend on the decision of your neighbourhood manager.

You will need written permission from your neighbourhood manager to take in a lodger. We will give permission if it’s reasonable to do so.

What effect will a lodger have on my income?

Taking in a lodger can be a good way of earning extra money. However, it can also have an adverse effect on your income:

  • Benefits: If you are claiming benefits such as Universal Credit, housing benefit, jobseeker’s allowance or income support, the money you get from your lodger may affect how much benefit you get. It is important to inform the relevant benefits department as soon as you start receiving rent. If you don’t, you may have to pay back any benefits that you weren’t entitled to
  • Council tax: If you are receiving a single person discount on your council tax, you will no longer be eligible for this if you take in a lodger. However, you can charge your lodger their share of the council tax bill

What tenancy status does a lodger have?

If you share facilities such as the kitchen and bathroom with your lodger, they will be a common law tenant. Common law tenants don’t have many rights, but you will still need a court order to evict them if you ask them to leave and they don’t want to go.

The important points

  • A lodger is someone, other than a member of your household, who rents a room in your home
  • Whether or not DGHP will allow you to take in a lodger will depend on the decision of your neighbourhood manager
  • Taking in a lodger can be a good way to bring in extra money to your household, but it can also have adverse effects on your benefits and/or your council tax

<< Back to Welfare Reform home


Looking for more information?

Get in touch with DGHP today.

Contact Us
Cookie Policy reveal lock logo
This site uses cookies.
Read our privacy policy

This site uses necessary cookies to enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

This site also uses optional cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. Google Analytics cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. Optional cookies are anonymous and will not identify you. We won’t set optional cookies unless you enable them using the tool below.

For more information on how cookies work please see our ‘Privacy Policy page’.