0800 011 3447
Board & DMC Members

Grierson House
The Crichton
Bankend Road
Dumfries, DG1 4ZS

0800 011 3447 (Freephone)
0345 606 3447 (Network rate)
01387 242 509 (Fax)

What are the changes to council tax benefit?

From April 2013, Council Tax Benefit has been abolished and replaced in Scotland by a Council Tax Reduction scheme.

The schemes vary from area to area but you can find more information about how to claim in Dumfries and Galloway here.

Will it affect me?

It will affect you if you need to apply for help towards paying your council tax charge due to you being on a low income.  If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit then you would have applied for Council Tax Reduction at the same time and this will be reflected in your Council Tax Bill.

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you will need to make sure that you apply for Council Tax Reduction from Dumfries and Galloway Council.  You can do this online here.

What has changed?

The scheme is still means tested, with claims received and processed by Dumfries and Galloway Council in the same way that council tax benefit was.

Dumfries and Galloway Council is following the Scottish Government‘s scheme.

How do I make a new claim for a council tax reduction or housing benefit?

First of all, make sure you are eligible to claim this type of support. You can check your eligibility here.

If you are successful and you are eligible to government support with the cost of housing or council tax, you can apply here.

Should you require any assistance, please phone 030 33 33 3006 to speak to an advisor who can help. Lines are open 9am until 5pm Monday to Friday.

How do I appeal the decision for council tax reduction?

As the new scheme is not a benefit, but is a reduction, appeals relating to council tax reduction claims and processing are dealt with by the Valuation Tribunal Service at a higher level.

It will be up to Dumfries and Galloway Council to choose how to operate the scheme. This is because the UK government is reducing the amount of money available and instead is asking local councils across the country to run their own schemes.

Who can I speak to for help and support?

If you have any questions, you can contact DGHP via our website or by calling our service centre on 0800 011 3447 (Freephone) or 0845 606 3447 (lo-call). You can also visit any of our open offices where you can speak to our staff privately and in confidence.

DGHP can also signpost you to other organisations who can help:

Dumfries and Galloway Council Call the council on 030 33 33 3006, this puts you straight into the queue for housing benefit queries.

Dumfries and Galloway Council’s Financial Inclusion and Assessment Team, you can call them on 030 33 33 3008 or email the team by clicking here.

Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice Service (DAGCAS) or find your local office below:

Annan: 19A Bank Street, Annan, DG12 6AA or you can call them on 0300 303 4321

Castle Douglas: 3 St Andrew Street, Castle Douglas, DG7 1DE or you can call them on 0300 303 4321

Dumfries: 81-85 Irish Street, Dumfries, DG1 2PQ or you can call them on 0300 303 4321

Stranraer: 23 Lewis Street, Stranraer, DG9 7AB or you can call them on 0300 303 4321

Welfare Rights is a Dumfries based charity, set up to help local people with benefits and welfare issues.

You can visit the staff for support at 63-65 Friars Vennel, Dumfries, DG1 2RQ. Or you can give the team a phone on 01387 266888 to talk to one of their highly experienced advisors.

Alternatively, you can email info@welfarerights.net.

<< Back to Welfare Reform home


Looking for more information?

Get in touch with DGHP today.

Contact Us
This site uses cookies. Read our privacy policy