Get Winter Ready
Tips to beat the chill
Make sure you – and your home – are ready for winter. Follow our simple advice to help you stay safe and warm during the cold weather
- If you’re not going to be at home for a period of time, set your heating to come on for a couple of hours a day and leave a key with a friend or neighbour
- Have regular hot drinks and at least one hot meal a day
- Wear several light layers of warm clothes to keep the heat in
- Keep active and wrap up warm if you go outside, draw your curtains at dusk and keep doors closed to block out draughts
- Keep your living room at around 18-21°C (64-70°F) to keep warm and cosy.
Remember to make sure you’ve had your annual gas service to ensure your heating is working properly.
It’s also important to report repairs as soon as you can before they become a bigger problem.
Frozen or burst pipes
Do you know where your stop valve is in your home? Take a few minutes now to locate it if you don’t – it is often under your kitchen sink.
If you do have frozen or burst pipes, turn off your stop valve immediately. Switch off your immersion heat/central heating boiler.
Call DGHP – we are here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 0800 011 3447.
Help with fuel bills
We can also help you when it comes to heating your home and making sure you are on the cheapest tariff as well as arrange a low-cost payment plan to manage debts.
Your housing officer can arrange a telephone appointment.